What is the REAL threat in these times of radical global change?
There’s a virus that’s running rampant in our world. It’s highly contagious. It’s potentially deadly; and it’s NOT Covid-19.
Yes, COVID-19 exists and it’s real; and we should pay attention and take care. But COVID-19 is NOT the deadliest virus. The deadliest virus is the Mental Virus that’s infecting our world; and it’s spreading way faster than Corona ever could.
If you’ve been in public places, I’m sure you, like me, can feel the tension in the air. You can see the fear on people’s faces. As businesses close under the government attempts to control this pandemic, it creates a profound impact in ways we may not yet fully comprehend.
Fear is Fatal.
Fear creates stress; and stress creates that which we fear the most. It’s a well-known fact in biology that 90% of all illness in today’s world is caused by stress.
What are you thinking and feeling right now?
The reality is that you’re most probably thinking and feeling what you’ve been programmed to think and feel. Positive psychology proves that 70% of your programming is completely out of your conscious awareness.
This is a unique time in history.
It’s time to invest in yourself, and I encourage you to do that. Times like this can indeed feel overwhelming. Fortunately, however, one classic mind-body practice is unparalleled in its value during crises - meditation.
You may be thinking, “Well, meditation might be a good way to relax, but what good is it when it feels like everything is about to fall apart?”
As it turns out, meditation is far more than just a way to relax and has profound benefits that will help you navigate the COVID-19 outbreak and other similarly challenging times.
The perception of a global pandemic registers as a real-time threat to your health, happiness, and way of life. It’s a deeply troubling situation that creates an enormous amount of mental turbulence that keeps you on edge:
- Heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration rises
- Stress chemicals (adrenaline and cortisol) are released into the bloodstream
- Muscle tension increases
- Thoughts are scattered and without focus
- Emotional fuses are short
You may feel you are one news story away from a full-blown breakdown. If you are feeling this, rest assured, you are not alone. The uncertainty of crisis like this can be unnerving and exhausting.
The Good News is that meditation is a powerful antidote to this prolonged stress response.
Knowing that the COVID-19 virus is in the environment, it is vital you make sure that your immune system is functioning at the highest level possible. You can help support your immune function in several ways including
- eating wholesome foods,
- getting enough sleep each night,
- exercising regularly, and
- consuming supplements or foods rich in antioxidants.
Wash your hands frequently
Practicing meditation can have a powerful immune-boosting effect. This happens in three different ways:
- When the stress response reallocates bodily energy reserves to help you survive a threatening situation, energy is pulled away from the immune system, thereby opening the door to a host of bacteria, toxins, viruses, and other opportunistic illnesses. During meditation, you activate the restful awareness response of your nervous system, which restores homeostatic balance thereby strengthening your immune system. When you aren’t fighting or fleeing, your immune system has more energy to do its job.
- Research reveals that meditation practice affects the expression of genes that positively influence the immune system. Meditation helps to reduce the levels of pro-inflammatory genes, which in turn led to a quicker recovery from stressful situations.
- Meditation activates your body’s innate healing system. The opposite of the fight-or-flight response is the rest-and-digest mode in which your system activates its own inner pharmacy and taps into its ability to heal, restore, and return to balance. When it’s not bogged down in the “fog of fear” your mind-body system can access its healing mechanisms.
So, if you’re feeling anxious and helpless amid this crisis, know that through the practice of meditation you have more power to affect healing and change than you imagine. If you haven’t learned to meditate, you can start anywhere by taking a few minutes to sit and listen or watch some soothing music and do some deep breathing. As this becomes easier, add more time and do this whenever you feel the fear and anxiety elevating.
Here is a beautiful 5 minute video that will start you on your journey of mediation.
If you need more instruction, a guided meditation is very helpful to teach you to breath and I find this one very helpful. It is from Wise Mind Body They offer a free meditation download on their website along with several other choices.
Wise Mind Body
Be well, enjoy this time to re-connect with yourself, your family, and to show compassion and kindness to another who may be isolated and need a little help.
I am offering free positive conversation during these stressful times and we can connect by Skype, Zoom, or phone. Please fill out attached form if you want to talk and together we can feel just a little bit better through these uncertain times.
Lee Pryke, Life Coach and Mentor