Do You Need to be Psych'd?

Do You Need to be Psych'd?

It is difficult to decide which professional to see for mental health care.

Maneuvering the mental health system can often be very confusing and frustrating, and then deciphering what the titles mean, can be even more confusing. So who’s who? And who do you go to for what? Here is an explanation of what a Psychiatrist, Psychologist and Psychotherapist do.

A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who understands the connection between mental and physical problems. electroconvulsive therapy or ECT), depending on the needs of each patient. Much of their Psychiatrists use a variety of treatments – including various forms of psychotherapy, medications, and other treatments (such as time is spent on medication management with patients.

A Psychologist has a doctoral degree (PhD or PsyD) in psychology and is able to assess and diagnose problems in thinking, feeling and behavior as well help people overcome or manage these problems. A psychologist is also trained to use psychological tests to help with assessment and diagnosis. Psychologists engage in research, psychotherapy and teaching across a wide range of topics having to do with how people think, feel and behave.

A Psychotherapist may or may not have a Master’s degree, and will be registered with The College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO). Psychotherapy is talk therapy to help people deal with issues that are potentially preventing them from living fully. The professional will have additional training for different approaches to therapy, such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Solution Focused, Trauma Informed, and many others. The important point to know is whether the psychotherapist has expertise in the area you need help with.

Feeling comfortable with the professional you choose is very important to the success of your treatment. Spend a few minutes speaking with them, ask about their approach to working with patients, and whether or not they have a specialty.

Contact me for any further information.

Lise Fitzsimmons

Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying) providing therapy services in Burlington