Let’s show some love for a wonderful root vegetable!
Glorious citrus and beets star in this colorful, tangy salad. It's a refreshing mix of bright flavors—add a little chicken for extra protein.
Now is the time to fall in love with al roots vegetables and this recipe celebrates beets which are so good for you. This is a beautiful salad to compliment any meal or on its own.
Citrus & Roasted Beets Salad
Makes 6 servings
• 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
• 8 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
• 1 can (14 ounces) hearts of palm, drained and sliced
• 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
• 1 medium orange, peeled and sectioned
• 1 tangerine, peeled and sectioned
• 1 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
• 2 teaspoons grated tangerine zest
• 1 tablespoon orange juice
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons honey
• 1/4 cup olive oil
Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Remove foil; allow beets to cool.
Peel beets and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. On six salad plates, arrange the arugula, beets, heart of palm, grapefruit, orange and tangerine; sprinkle with cheese. Whisk the vinegar, orange and tangerine zest, orange juice, mustard and honey; gradually whisk in oil. Drizzle over salads. Serve immediately.
1 serving: 223 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.