There are several easy ways to lower the amount of sugar intake or to cut sugar altogether this Holiday Season.
You will still be able to indulge in your favorite treats and feel satisfied for months to come!
Healthy Holiday Choices
These easy steps can help your teeth be jolly and participating in all of the festivities:
- Balance your sweets with other foods. Eating sugary and carb-rich foods as part of a balanced meal can lessen their impact on your teeth.
- Choose sweets that don’t stick around. Instead of sticky foods that get on and in between your teeth, go for items that dissolve quickly, limiting their contact with your enamel. Instead of caramels and candy canes why not indulge in dark chocolate rich in antioxidants. Try replacing your sugary treats with apples and nuts that contain natural sugar and won’t cause a buildup of acid and plaque on your teeth.
- Brush afterwards. Always keep a toothbrush to brush away foods and plaque after you eat. If you’re consuming foods or beverages that are high in acid, like oranges and wine, make sure to wait 30 minutes. Acid can soften the enamel, so brushing too soon can actually damage your teeth.
- Stay prepared. You’ll have no excuse to skip brushing and flossing if you always keep a toothbrush, travel tube of toothpaste and container of floss in your bag or car.
- Rinse to refresh. When you can’t brush, rinse your mouth with tap water to wash away food particles and bacteria.
- Don’t give up on wine! Most alcoholic beverages such as champagne contain a lot of sugar, so why not swap it out for a sweet alternative like red wine instead. Red wine is full of healthy antioxidants, and the sugar levels are not overwhelming.
Smile and enjoy the holiday season with family and friends and be happy that when you make healthy choices for your teeth, it will reduce the time at the dentists filling cavities!
Wishing you a very happy and healthy holiday season from the team of Byronwood Dental Office in London
Byronwood Dental Office