Coconut Macaroons: A Symphony of Textures
Coconut macaroons are ridiculously easy to make at home. Try our recipe that includes two unique differences from most other macaroons.
Can you keep a secret? Coconut macaroons are ridiculously easy to make. Yep, those tempting little stacks of coconut and cream that you pay a fortune for at the bakery are actually a snap to make at home. Our coconut macaroons include two unique differences from most other recipes. These little changes make a big impact when it comes to flavor. First, we toast half of the coconut to bring out the deep, nutty flavor everyone loves. Leaving half the coconut fresh means the finished macaroons will still be soft and chewy. So you get the best of both cookie worlds: crispy and chewy! The second unique addition is our use of coconut cream. We’ve replaced half of the condensed milk with thick, velvety coconut cream, a condensed version of coconut milk. Using unsweetened coconut cream for part of the liquid increases the natural coconut aroma and flavor of the cookie. It also helps balance the level sweetness which can be cloying in some macaroon recipes.
- 2 packages (14 oz) shredded coconut
- ¾ cup coconut cream not coconut milk
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 extra-large or 2 medium egg whites
- Spread approximately half of the coconut on a baking sheet and place it in a 350°-oven for 8-10 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes, being careful not to burn the coconut. Remove from oven when it begins to turn lightly golden.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the coconut, toasted and plain, with the condensed milk, coconut cream, salt and vanilla extract.
- Beat the egg white with an electric mixer until it forms firm peaks. Fold the whipped egg gently into the coconut mixture.
- For each coconut macaroon, drop approximately 2 teaspoons of batter into a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325° for about 25 minutes or until the cookies are golden and set. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.
- If desired, drizzle the top of each cookie with melted chocolate.