Starting off a New Year is usually greeted with New Years Resolutions being made, but for those of you who know me, you know that I no longer believe that creating a New Year Resolution is not the best way to achieve better health and wellness.
Having values, beliefs and support, coupled with creating goals and developing a plan is the best way to take care of yourself. Some people are able to do this well on their own, whereas others need the help and support of those they know, like and trust to help them.
So what are your plans?
What types of things do you do to take care of you? Here are just a few suggestions that I think can help you start this New Year off well and not only make 2018 amazing, but every year.
1. Eat well the majority of the time. If you're someone who can do that on your own than all the power to you. I find the best way to achieve this is with a plan. Create your weekly menu based on your schedule, then write your list and hit the grocery store. If you need a little help, I would love to help. You can email me directly or check out my Balanced Bloom Healthy Lifestyle Series programs online.
2. Keep Moving. Plan it into your daily schedule to move most days of the week. I recommend 5 days for at least 30 mins each session. A good balance of weight-training, cardio and flexibility will help keep you limber and young. My favourite way to move is of course Yoga, and I love doing a home practice. Check out Yoga with Adriene for great free online yoga.
3. Take Care of your body. Moving is a great way to maintain health and wellness, but what if your body isn't co-operating. "No pain, no gain" is not a phrase that I use with my clients. "Listen to your Body" is what you'll hear me say, and sometimes it is saying you need to see a professional for those aches and pains that may be out of the normal post-workout soreness. If you're living in the Burlington area, check out my new friend's Pillars of Wellness, they offer a number of great services: Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Naturopathy, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Yoga and Meditation.
4. Be Mindful. Whether you practice mindfulness or meditation regularly or not, one sure fire way to stay young and healthy is to challenge and rest your mind. My good friend Steph Vandeven aka "The Mindful Mama" would love to help you and your family achieve a stress-free, peaceful and calm environment. So check out her website and connect with her to help support your mindful journey.
Your journey in 2018 and beyond can be anything you want it to be, and hopefully these four tips can help you look and feel your best.
P.S. Here are a few other great options to take care of you:
- Enjoy Organic Juicing. You can pick it up in Burlington, or order online from my friend Naiomi Gardner, owner of Bodhi Bar
- Check out DoTerra Oils with my friend Rebecca Bergey-Schnurr of CalmBalanceLife.ca