ACCUSTIC ARTS® AMP II Mk3 @accustic_arts
The 3rd generation of our "classic".
The long-lasting and classic in the ACCUSTIC ARTS® program undoubtedly is our amplifier AMP II. Already in 1997, the year of foundation of ACCUSTIC ARTS®, the AMP II was one of the products of the first hour. In the third generation that has just been presented, we have (almost) changed nothing, since we do not change a classic, but rather develop it more cautiously to make it even more attractive. Since the AMP II has long been one of the best-known high-end amplifiers in the market, this is both a challenge and an obligation. So the question was, "What can be improved on such a good, soundly mature, globally successful product?".
After countless tests and tests, we have found that linearizing the curve of the attenuation factor can actually lead to improvements in the sound image. Now it is not done, a few relays and resistances etc. incorporate. Rather, the whole thing must be optimized and worked out so that real differences are made audible. After countless prototypes we have found an interesting solution and integrated this feature into the new AMP II - MK 3. Depending on your preference, the customer can turn this function on or off. However, we suspect that most customers will love the new feature.
AMP II: The world-wide successful champion
Numerous awards in many international hifi magazines have been awarded to the AMP II over the last years and many testers have chosen him as a "reference". It is therefore right to say that the AMP II is one of the world's finest power amplifiers in its class.
The German magazine "STEREO" selected the AMP II - MK 2 (the MK 2 version is the predecessor model of the current MK 3) to the reference amplifier in issue 12/2009, awarded the maximum achievable points and At the same time the price / performance ratio as "outstanding". "STEREO" wrote:
"... high-end power amplifier, which is extremely versatile and can deal with literally any loudspeaker. [...] And it is the tip for all friends of music, because it was so inexpensive to get into the class of the top references of the power amplifiers. "
Finest electronic components - Finest sound
During the development of the AMP II - MK 3, the greatest emphasis was placed on perfect signal routing with short paths and very fine components. In some cases, components are even selected by hand, because only in this way can technically perfect measured values be obtained, which are the basis for the breathtakingly great sound of this amplifier.
The AMP II - MK 3 is a so-called "dual mono power amplifier", ie the two channels, apart from the common mains cable, are completely disconnected - from the transformer to the power amplifier boards. The AMP II - MK 3 uses a huge amount of material: 2 x 1100 VA transformers, 160,000 μF screen capacitance, 24 selected MOS-FETs Power transistors and many more. Due to this significant over-dimensioning, the components never reach their performance limits even at full capacity and therefore ensure the described best values. In addition, the AMP II - MK 3 operates in the CLASS-A operation in most applications.
Convincing circuit concept - convincing results
The driver stage of the AMP II - MK 3 operates according to the principle of the current mirror. With this circuit principle, it is possible to "derivate" another current from an existing current. The AMP II-MK 3 is accordingly a "current-controlled" power amplifier, with the large number of MOS-FET transistors providing a very high current supply capability without the transistors having to reach their power limits. The AMP II - MK 3 is thus also suitable for impedance-critical or low-impedance loudspeaker systems. By means of a sophisticated switching principle, it is possible to dispense with servo controllers for the "offset" and to generate the rest current via IC or current mirror drivers. This rectifies DC and AC voltage errors (DC and music signal errors) at the same time. That is,
The laboratory commentary of "STEREO" in the first edition was as follows:
"High and stable performance, very low distortion, high attenuation factor, good noise and bandwidth with extremely high channel separation."
Maximum operational safety
Both AMP II - MK 3 output stages have a massive, 12 kg heavy-duty chiller, which ensures a constant operating temperature of the MOS-FET transistors thanks to its special shape. Even at full load there is no danger of overheating. An integrated monitoring unit also continuously monitors the operating conditions DC offset, temperature, clipping and high frequency. If a pre-defined value is exceeded at one of these points, the loudspeaker outputs are switched off in a flash-fast manner, thus guaranteeing maximum operational reliability for the power amplifier as well as for the connected loudspeakers.
The AMP II - MK 3 is of course " Handmade in Germany ". From the development to the final assembly, all production processes in Germany also take place in this product.
Let's recap once again "STEREO":
Test result: "Stable and precise, but powerful and agile as a final amplifier as in the textbook of amplifier construction. Homogeneous, universally applicable, practically perfect. And for this very high class, impertinently inexpensive ".
The AMP II - MK3 at a glance
- Dual-mono high-performance amplifier of the absolute reference class with separate power supply for each amplifier channel24 selected MOS-FET transistors of the highest quality
- 24 selected MOS-FET transistors of the highest quality
- 2 magnetically shielded and encapsulated ring core power transformers in premium quality for the largest power reserves
- Maximum transformer power: 2,200 VA (watt)
- Excellent smoothing thanks to 160,000 μF power supply capacity; Premium capacitors made in Germany
- Very high attenuation factor for perfect control of the speakers
- ACCUSTIC ARTS® damping factor linearization (deactivatable)
- Professionally designed protection circuit against clipping, high frequency oscillations and high DC offset
- Integrated inrush current limiter for maximum operational safetyConstantly low operating temperature due to massive generously dimensioned heat sinks
- Constantly low operating temperature due to massive generously dimensioned heat sinks
- Balanced input (XLR) and unbalanced input (RCA) - the inputs can be switched
- All components used are selected and of the highest quality
- Very high-quality gold-plated connection terminals (Bi-Wiring / Bi-Amping)
- Extremely stable, solid and resonance-optimized housing made entirely of aluminum; Inlay made of solid brass, polished and chrome-plated on high glossACCUSTIC ARTS® AMP II - MK3 is guaranteed "Handmade in Germany"
- ACCUSTIC ARTS® AMP II - MK3 is guaranteed "Handmade in Germany"
For more information, click here.